You have clicked this link probably because you’re asking the question: “Why do you wash a dishwasher?” The answer will surprise you. Mostly because you would think that your dishwasher is cleaning the dishes, so wouldn’t it already be cleaning itself at the same time?
Why you should clean your dishwasher
As you fill, wash, empty, refill, empty… repeat daily… your dishwasher the particles of food and grime build up around the machine and down the drain. The damp in the dishwasher is also the perfect breeding ground for mould and mildew. Not too great for your clean dishes, or your health. So, why you should clean your dishwasher is to get rid of the dirt, mould and mildew that can build up over time in the innards of the machine.
Sure you can purchase specific products which are designed to clean your dishwasher. They are excellent but keep in mind they are harsh cleaning products the incorporate a lot of chemicals to get a squeaky clean. But Your Helpers Home Services found them to be “premium prices” and not always affordable. And in comparison to using a gentle, inexpensive cleaning product you most likely have in your cupboard we found them unnecessary.
What are these magical dishwashing cleaning products I already have in my home?
You can clean your dishwasher using these products you probably already have in your cupboard.
- 1 cup of white vinegar
- 1 cup of baking soda
- Make sure there are no remains or leftover food in your dishwasher
- Pour a cup of vinegar into a dishwasher safe cup and place inside in your dishwasher.
- Run your dishwasher on the longest and hottest cycle setting. The vinegar will help disinfect and clean up the machine as well as remove and residue that has built up in your dishwasher.
- After the cycle is complete. Take 1 cup of baking soda and sprinkle it directly all over your dishwasher.
- Run your dishwasher on the longest and hottest cycle setting again. The baking soda will help deodorise and remove any stains that may be in your machine.
Take an old toothbrush dip in vinegar and scrub the rubber seals to help clean and disinfect this area too.
It’s recommended you clean your dishwasher every 3-4 months.
You can also find out how to clean your washing machine with the products you have at home.